February 13, 2007

My Friend Heading to Iraq

I received an e-mail Sunday from a dear friend that is heading back to Iraq for his second tour. Kirby's wife Linda, and their two sons remain behind in Ohio. Kirby had retired from the US Navy prior to the events leading to this war, but has offered his knowledge and service to our country in time of need. This morning I would like to post my prayer for them.

Our gracious and magnificent Lord, You are El-Shaddai - the God All Sufficient. You are all that we need, the source of all of our hope. I praise Your incredible grace to us!

Father, this morning I lift my brother Kirby to You. He is - once again - serving his fellow countrymen by going into the war zone. Protect him Father. I pray that You would surround him with Your protective embrace and let him know that You are there with him. Oh Lord, this man and his wife was there for my family when the tragic events of 9/11 occured and I was caught on the other side of the country. I am forever grateful for this. They were used by You when I was not available. Bless them, oh mighty Jehovah!

This morning I ask that You preserve and protect him and his family through the coming year. Keep him out of harm's way, Father. Bring him home safe, and help him to know that in spite of the things said by some in our society, his service is deeply appreciated.

Lord, I also plead Your comfort for Linda, Gabriel and Jacob. This will be a difficult time for Linda as she raises their sons on her own for a year. I pray your provision for them. I pray that You would grant her the patience and strength she needs. Comfort her in Kirby's absence and show her Your love. My blessed Father, Gabriel is thrust into being the "young man of the house". Show him how to help his mother through these times. Help him to deal with his own fears while patiently comforting his brother. Jacob is very young, Lord, and his understanding of this situation is undoubtedly limited, but I pray that You would help him in ways that none of us can foresee or understand.

These requests come from the bottom of my heart in the incredible name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, Your Son.

Amen