March 2, 2007

Mentors - Jeff Crosno

We now take a look at the first of my mentors who is still among the living. I've known him for around 15 years now. Our worlds have drawn apart significantly over the past few years, but I still cherish his wisdom. After becoming a Christian - or coming back to Christ, to be more accurate - I was attending a relatively large church - one that my wife had been a member of since she was 10 years old. For roughly my first 10 years there, it would have been considered a "traditional" church - focused on having outstanding preaching, a remarkably talented group of singers (the music tended to be 18th, 19th and early 20th century vintage), and ministries that were focused on taking care of each other. Along came Pastor Crosno. Jeff was a good preacher, but his messages tended to be more practical and less the soaring theological flights taken by his predecessors. Since we were quickly closing in on the 21st century, he also tried to take the music ministry from the 18th century to a blend of the 19th and 20th. That met with some resistance – particularly when the new Music Minister brought in a black gospel group for a Sunday night service!

All of that was well and good, but what impressed me most was that he brought the concept of servanthood to our congregation. Our Lord bowed so low as to wash the feet of his disciples. He fed the hungry and poor, healed those who were afflicted. He reached out to those less fortunate. So, as Christians, are we not supposed to emulate what He did for us? As a church, should we not be reaching out to those in our community who need aid? Of course we should.

I considered Jeff a good friend. When he left to take on another church in a different city, we decided to make a move as well for various reasons. The body of believers that we have found embraces the concept of serving. Is it perfect? Obviously not, but I’ve found that the more a group of Christians concentrates on serving others, the more they WANT to serve others. Hmm. Maybe that’s what Pastor Crosno was trying to tell us.

Jeff also gave me a piece of advice that I hold dear to this day. As mentioned in a previous post, I went from a 5 day a week in the same office corporate job to a position as a consultant for a software company. In case you don’t know, that type of position involves travel. A LOT of travel. When the software company offered me the position, I wanted it. Badly. I mean I REALLY wanted it! But what about the responsibility to my family? At that point I had a 3 year old and a 7 year old at home. I’d be heading out on the road 30-40 weeks a year.

First I talked to Linda. “This is your dream job, Dale. You need to do it.” Still not satisfied – why do men always fail to listen to their wives? – I went to talk to Jeff – as a friend and as a pastor. Trying to cover my bases, however, I phrased it in Christian Speak.

“How do I know if this is God’s will for my life?” (How’s that? Not bad, huh!?)

“Dale, a lot of people get hung up on looking for the ‘green lights’. Is this the direction I’m supposed to go, Lord? Are you sure, Lord? I would suggest you pay more attention to the ‘red lights’. If you are seeking God’s will and delighting in Him - truly committed to Him - He will give you the desires of your heart. If you see a red light – something that tells you that you’ll have to compromise your ethics, values or principles, then you probably shouldn’t go down that path.”

Were there any red lights? Well, being away from home would be tough, but on the weeks when I wasn’t on the road, I’d be home with the family 24/7. How many other people can say that they can be at home 12-22 weeks a year? So that didn’t seem to compromise anything. Other than that, it looked to be all systems go. I’ve never looked back and have never regretted the decision.

As I said, I’ve shared that piece of advice many times – and it is normally received enthusiastically. So thank you Jeff, for giving me some of your insight. Thank you for showing me the value of serving others. Above all else, thank you very much for being a friend.

Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him…(Psalm 37:5-7a, NIV).